Below are some of the most common questions asked about having commission artwork, hand-painted instruments, murals or faux finishes created for your home or business. Please call or email us if you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a consultation.
- How much does your work cost?
- Pricing for commission paintings, hand-painted instruments, murals, & faux finishes varies greatly depending upon the size & complexity of the design, the necessary surface preparation, scaffolding costs (if required), techniques & materials to be used, & environmental conditions. All work is priced by the project, not by the hour or square foot. CFO Design offers a free one hour consultation in your home or business. Once our services are contracted, a deposit will be required to proceed in the design process.
- How long does it take to complete a project?
In most cases, a mural or faux finishing project can be completed in the course of two to five business days depending upon the style & complexity of the design & finish, as well as the weather & humidity levels throughout the project. If possible, we prefer to work on consecutive days so that we can complete your project in a timely manner.
Murals usually take longer than faux finishes, depending upon their complexity & size. A small decorative enhancement, such as a painted swag over an archway, can be completed over the course of a few days. A larger & more intricate project, such as a full-room landscape, can take a few weeks. If you have a project that you would like completed by a certain date, we recommend contacting us as early as possible so your project can be scheduled to meet your desired completion date.
A commissioned art project can sometimes be completed as quickly as two to three weeks (in the case of a small drawing) and can sometimes take up to 6 months- depending upon the project, complexity, medium, and scale.
- Why would I choose a decorative finish over wallpaper/actual tile/wood/etc.?
- There are many wonderful wallpapers, tiles, stone, & wood finishes available in the marketplace today, but there are also many reasons to choose a faux finish. The main reason to choose a faux finish is you like the look & it can't be replicated any other way. The client can choose exactly the color that they want, instead of working around the colors in the wall paper book. A less obvious reason is cost; a faux finish is much more affordable than installing true marble columns or burled walnut paneling. The majority of the illusions in Las Vegas hotels & casinos are done with faux finishes - they know they can get the look that they want at a fraction of the cost. Another reason to choose a faux finish is its ability to hide existing surface imperfections.
- What if my walls are textured or damaged?
- Murals & faux finishes are excellent ways to hide dents, stains, & blemishes on the walls. If you have textured walls ("orange peel", knockdown, or other applied texture), there are fantastic faux finishes that can be used to enhance the beauty of your home or business.
- Where do you work
The CFO Design Studios are located in Basking Ridge, New Jersey. We primarily serve the Morris County & Somerset County areas, along with the New York City Metro area. We can arrange for travel to other locations, so please feel free to call or email us so we can discuss arrangements to come to you.
- How does the design process work?
- Phase I - Initial Phone Conversation
During our initial phone conversation we will discuss your ideas, type & size of project, & the completion time frame you have in mind.
- Phase II - Initial Meeting
During this on-site meeting we will bring our portfolio for your review & discuss your ideas in depth. We take notes, measurements & digital photos of the area or furniture piece for reference purposes. There is no charge for this meeting.
- Phase III- Estimate & Deposit
We prepare a written proposal & then contact you in a few days with the estimate. If you decide to go forward & have us create a design &/or samples, there is a fee required to cover the purchase of materials & design time. This fee is non-refundable if you choose not to proceed as it covers material & labor costs expended on your behalf.
- Phase IV - Design
Once the deposit is received, we will then create either a mural design or faux finish samples for your review & approval.
- Phase V- Work Begins!
After your approval of the design &/or samples, we will arrange a mutually agreeable start date. At that time a payment towards the total fee is required to place your project on our schedule. If this is a project that lasts less than a week, the final payment is due upon completion. An interim payment is invoiced with the final payment due upon project completion if it is an extended project (two weeks or longer). As we paint, you can sit back & enjoy the evolution of your home or business into a work of art! If we work on your project in our studios, you are more than welcome to schedule an appointment to check on its progress!